Who doesn’t like big, full lashes? Mascara is one of those things that can take your look to the next level. Whether it’s a more natural makeup day or full on glam, mascara is a must for framing your eyes. I have tried so many different kinds (high end and drugstore) and honestly, the affordable mascaras take the cake when it comes to formula, volume, and lengthening. The ones I will be talking about are all non-waterproof/original formula.
L’Oreal Paris Voluminous Original Mascara in Carbon Black
This mascara was already popular, but blew up a few years ago when Kim K’s makeup artist revealed that it is one of her favorites. This is the darkest mascara I own out of my collection and the most versatile. The formula stays wet for a long time so it is easier to layer on. You definitely can achieve volume with this but the tiny bristles and slender shape of the wand also provide a good amount of lengthening power. I also like this one for bottom lashes because the wand isn’t huge and it’s precise.
L’Oreal Voluminous Butterfly Sculpt Mascara in Blackest Black
I came across this mascara when one of my favorite Youtubers, Kaushal, was raving about it. I watched her apply it to her lashes and was in disbelief at how lengthening it was. The brush is the true innovation here, as it separates and lengthens really, really well. This is the only mascara I have ever worn where someone thought I was wearing fake eyelashes. I will say though that it works best when it’s new and more “wet.” Once the formula starts to dry, I do notice some clumping and it doesn’t glide on as well, but at $8…I’m okay with that. I usually save this mascara for nicer events because it adds the most drama to my lashes.
L’Oreal Paris Voluminous Lash Paradise in Blackest Black
I think it’s safe to say that this mascara is L’Oreal’s attempt at a more affordable version of Too Faced’s Better Than Sex mascara. The similar rose gold packaging made me raise my eyebrows right away. I am always down to try a dupe of a more expensive item so I bought this as soon as it hit shelves. I had a small sample version of Better Than Sex so I was actually able to compare the two. Spoiler alert: Lash Paradise won on all fronts. Lash Paradise has a nice fluffy brush that creates tons of volume without being clumpy. The best way to describe it is “feathery” because it lays on really well and layers like a dream. This formula tends to dry faster but the trick to avoid clumping is to really wiggle the brush from the base of your eyelashes upwards. Swiping mascara in one motion is a surefire way to get clumps.
- Do not pump your wand in and out of the bottle. I know this is what most people are accustomed to doing before applying mascara to your eyes (it’s almost second nature) but that is how you dry out your mascaras really quickly. It introduces more air into the bottle, which is what we don’t want. It’s the same as leaving the cap off of a liquid eyeliner. Instead, twist your wand into the bottle to get an even coating.
- Clean off your wand after every couple uses. You can do this by getting a paper towel (avoid toilet paper because it has more fuzzies) and wrapping it around the wand. Gently wiggle it back and forth so that any clumps can come out.
- Avoid getting mascara on your lid by getting a business card or even a piece of toilet paper and laying it across your lid while you apply your mascara!
- Wiggle your wand from base to tip, don’t swipe.
- For waterproof mascara, try to use a makeup remover that is meant for waterproof makeup. The Sephora brand one is my favorite (found here.) It removes everything really well without causing any irritation and has some added soothing ingredients for your eye area.
- If you have stubborn mascara residue even after removing all of your makeup and washing your face. Vaseline or any oil is the best way to get rid of it. I love using coconut oil personally.